Fish Soup Rota Style
This is a very important long weekend for Rota since we celebrate the XLVIII edition of the Urta Festival – La Fiesta de la Urta. It always takes place in the first weekend in August and we dedicate this Fiesta to our more popular recipe, known national wide, la Urta a la Roteña, Red Seabream, cooked Rota Style. There will be a lot of atmosphere on the streets and besides shows on different squares downtown. Atrtactions for children, a Fish Tapas Route until the 13th, and our Cooking contest on Sunday evening the 6th. A long weekend to enjoy. You can follow the Facebook page, Welcome to Rota, where you will find full information about this Fiesta. This week we want to celebrate this Fiesta sharing with you our Fish Soup cooked with this popular fish, and this is the result, very yummy and very easy to cook. You will enjoy it very much. If you don’t find Urta in the market you can cook this soup with dorada, croaker, snapper,.. any kind of rock fish. This is the recipe, we really hope you enjoy it as much as we do:
- * For the Fish Broth:
- - 1 Seabream (Urta or Pargo) Fish head
- - A few Small Rock Fish
- - 1/2 lb. (1/4 kg.) Shrimp
- - 1/2 lb. (1/4 kg.) Clams
- - 1 Onion
- - 1 Green Pepper
- - 1 Tomato
- - Minced Parsley
- - Salt and Pepper
- * For the Stir fry:
- - 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- - 3 Tablespoons Homemade Fried Tomato Sauce
- - 2 Tablespoons All-purpose Flour
- - 1 Tablespoon Thickener (Corn Starch or Instant Mashed Potato Flakes)
- - Salt and Pepper
- * A splash of dry sherry wine (Manzanilla or Fino)
- * Garnish:
- - 2 Hard Boiled Eggs
WAY OF COOKING:
* Let's start by peeling the shrimp and frying the heads and shells in a small skillet with one tablespoon of mild olive oil.
* We’ll prepare the base of the soup broth using a medium to large pot, in which we will pour 8 1/2 cups (2 L.) of water, the sautéed shrimp heads and shells, all the chopped vegetables (medium pieces), parsley, salt and pepper. Add the rock fish and the fish head and let it boil for 30 minutes.
* We strain all the broth by using a Chinese strainer and set aside in a pot.
* We are going to crumble the meat from the boiled rock fish and use it later to add to our soup.
* We then proceed to prepare the stir fry. Put the oil in a frying pan and add 3 tablespoons homemade fried tomato sauce, stir a few minutes until heated and add the flour, the corn starch or mashed potato flakes, and stir everything well.
* We will add this sauce to the pot with the fish broth, then the splash of wine, stir and add the crumbled rock fish meat, the peeled shrimp, the clams with their shells, we let it boil a few minutes and we leave aside.
* And to finish with we chop the hard-boiled eggs and put them in the dishes before serving the soup.
We wish you a very nice weekend !!!!